Advice Needed: End Of Lease & Renewal

Topic locked
Advice needed: End of lease & renewal Dec 09, 2008
Hi all,

I have recently passed the 60day notice period prior to the end of my lease and chatted with my landlord as follows. I want to renew for another year IF my job remains intact, but I will only know by end of Dec due to the construction industry going through some turmoil right now. I managed to put off the decision to the landlord by 10 days, which is coming up shortly. But if I now tell the landlord I can only confirm/refuse the flat at end of Dec (another 2 weeks grace), which will be 30 days prior to the lease expiring (end Jan), does it mean I will be OBLIGED to take on the rent for the full new lease and pay him for the year ahead just because I did not give 60days notice? I really want to stay, but my job may move to Abu Dhabi, in which case clearly I don't need the flat.. How do you guys think I shoud tackle this with my landlord and his legal rights against me if I cannot confirm up until the last moment before the lease expires? The lease contracts here are really not clear, and if I get a cheque and pay him, the obligation will be on me to find a new tenant next year if I move out a few weeks into the new lease. He will already have his money so why should he care that I need to move? Help !! Stuck between a rock and a hard place...

Imraan
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

posting in Accommodation in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Accommodation in Dubai