Want To Work For Free In Dubai.. Am I Sane?

Topic locked
Want To Work For Free In Dubai.. Am I Sane? Dec 08, 2008
I wont say am an absolute professional web developer but am not that bad too.. Have been trying to get into Dubai to study at UOW but along side I want to develop relationships with good companies. I got more than 2 year practical experience of web / e commerce programming and a few month linux system administration at a world class bank.

1) Do you really think offering my services absolutely free for a couple of months will help me get a good job?

2) (If yes).. how do I approach the HR departments? I mean a CV with a letter will do that?

3) Will companies / departments will really be interested in recruiting me in the first place?

Replies / suggestions appreciated !

Electro
Dubai Forums Member

Dec 08, 2008
This advice is from my experience in Australia so may be different in UAE, but...

I would not just go out and offer your services for free. I would start Uni and then apply at companies for Work Experience stints. They are usually only a few months anyway and that way you have a chance of getting maybe some cash.

Work experience is a great way to get nice things to put on your resume, plus it potentially gives you contacts in the industry which is what you are looking for it seems like.

Personally I would be more interested in a work experience student than some guy offering free work (seems desperate) if I was a HR manager. But I'm not so maybe your plan will work.

I did two stints of work experience while at uni, one paid and one unpaid, both for about three months. I learnt nothing from one and quite a bit from the other but they both looked great on my resume when I graduated.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Dec 09, 2008
Thanks for the reply aussie dude.. :)

you are right am doing it just to gain some contacts in industry. I am not caring much about work experience (i got some decent projects to my name) as long as I keep on handshaking with big guns of various companies. think this rules apply universally no matter if you are in Aus or Dubai..

sent you a pm as well
:roll:
Electro
Dubai Forums Member

Dec 10, 2008
I agree with Capt. Auz 100% - some very sound advice.

Additionally, how are you going to be funding this? I assume you have independent means? Dubai is not a cheap place to live and not really the type of place where you want to offer your services for free.

There's also a technicality/ legality, if you’re coming into the country on a student visa you cannot be legally employed (under the terms of the visa); any work that you may do will have to be "off the book", if you are caught you would be deported.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Dec 10, 2008
I agree with Capt. Auz 100% - some very sound advice.

Additionally, how are you going to be funding this? I assume you have independent means? Dubai is not a cheap place to live and not really the type of place where you want to offer your services for free.

There's also a technicality/ legality, if you’re coming into the country on a student visa you cannot be legally employed (under the terms of the visa); any work that you may do will have to be "off the book", if you are caught you would be deported.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Dec 10, 2008

I hope working for a month.. or may be two will help me understand the work environment there. I should satisfy my employer by that time too so a permanent job offer might be across the corner.

I'll support myself by that time with some of the funds i got.

You are absolutely right about the legal aspect.. But as far as I know.. "A permanent job" is whats illegal.. the sort of 'free work' / 'internship' or 'work on probation' I'll be doing wont come in that category (kindly correct me if i'm wrong) I am saying this because even the university am gonna study is offering internships in various industries for bachelors.
Electro
Dubai Forums Member

Dec 10, 2008
You are absolutely right about the legal aspect.. But as far as I know.. "A permanent job" is whats illegal.. the sort of 'free work' / 'internship' or 'work on probation' I'll be doing wont come in that category (kindly correct me if i'm wrong) I am saying this because even the university am gonna study is offering internships in various industries for bachelors.

legally the labour law does not support short-period internships or vocational training positions; i would assume however that if the university is offering internships they have cleared it (or arranged it) with the department of labour.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Dec 10, 2008
Thats really scary.. :?
Electro
Dubai Forums Member

Dec 10, 2008
I agree it sucks if all you want to do is get a little experience.

However you need to take the following into consideration. Realistically speaking about 90% of the work force in the country is immigrant/ expatriate labour.

This is strictly controlled through a labour contract system for a number of reasons, for example:

• What happens if you were to be working illegally and you suffered a permanent debilitating accident at work? Who would be responsible for your medical bills and disability pension? If you are legally employed there is a mechanism to cater for this eventuality.

• What happens if you are working illegally and your actions cause serious financial harm to the company that you are working for, or even worse to one of their suppliers or clients? Who is held accountable or liable?

• What happens to illegal employees if the company is declared bankrupt? Who is responsible for feeding, housing and repatriating staff?

Agreed, the above examples are perhaps a little extreme, but they do happen, every day and to scores of people.

It boils down to liability and accountability. The government does not want to have to accept any financial liability for anyone especially if they have not derived any financial benefit through the avenue of legal employment. It should also be noted that most tourists when visiting a country on holiday are barred from access to Public or Government funds (of the country they are visiting) and have to provide their own medical insurance.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Dec 10, 2008
awesome post.. 8)

considering the logics and legal aspects.. how about asking the company to actually give me an employment on the basis of my past experience but dont pay me for a month or two. like make me employee on probation. After a month if i dont satisfy the admins am fired.. otherwise we decide a startup salary and convert student visa to work.

Hope that wont switch on any legal alarms :roll:
Electro
Dubai Forums Member

Dec 10, 2008
:)

sorry for soundling like such an "old man", but that wouldn't work either. technically (again), you'd have to apply for a labour card in order to be have a legal probation period - and of course with a student visa this can't happen.

it may be easier to look for a permanent job in a free zone (such as media city), which gives you some latitude to change positions more frequently. you could still then study as UOW, but as a part-time student (i seem to remember they offer evening classes)

sorry about the spelling - spell check broken :(
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Dec 10, 2008
sorry for soundling like such an "old man"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

thats some wonderful help to be honest.. :wink:
Electro
Dubai Forums Member

Dec 22, 2008
VERY few internships are paid here. In contrast, almost all internships are paid in USA. I've been in both places for college.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai